Sunday, October 01, 2006

Nuit Blanche.

I participated in Toronto's first 'White Night' last night/this morning and what an amazing experience that was!

What is Nuit Blanche? It's all about contemporary art; there are over 130 art exhibitions, indoors and outdoors... and you go see as many of them as you can (or want), but within a time period: from 7:00pm the 30th of September to 7:00am the first of October. Twelve hours. One... sleepless... night.

Out of more than 130 art exhibitions, I managed to see 20-something installations... I lost count - and, we didn't even make it to 7am! We got a little hungry at 4:30, stopped in at Fran's (the only 24-hour eatery in downtown Toronto) for a quick bite - mistake! Once my belly was full, all I wanted was my pillow. Oh well.

Here are some photos of my favourite exhibitions from last night:

Mike's taking a picture of me, taking a picture of him, in the games area at OCAD (Ontario College of Art & Design).






A ghostly, larger-than-life image by Derek Michael Besant from his 'Fifteen Restless Nights Collection'.





Can't remember which gallery we stumbled into, but found a room of lovely lanterns all alit.






'Fog in Toronto' by Fujiko Nakaya was one of my favourites last night. An small area (on the U of T campus) was transformed; jets (seen bottom left) pump out water-based fog, creating a microclimate which moves and disappears like natural fog - cool.

Carlos Garaicoa photographs two images of the same location: one before, one after. Thread is used and pinned onto one of the photographs (seen on the right) where a building/structure once was.


They call it 'Ballroom Dancing' but who are you kidding? It's dodge ball... only with smaller and softer balls... a roomful of strangers... and any pent-up frustrations you may have.



There were a few exhibits held at swimming pools. This installation, called 'Night Swim', projected a film across the water onto the back wall. Strange and eerily quiet.






This is the penguin that Alisa wanted me to swipe for her from the 'Roy & Silo's' exhibit. NO. So instead, she went and swiped the one that was in the men's urinal... as some poor sod was taking a piss! Shameful, hehe.

I do have more images but won't be posting them as I'M GOING TO BED! Nighty night. x.

Labels: , ,