Saturday, September 16, 2006

Our Annual Canoe & Kayak Day-Trip.

The organizer of this annual event is none other than Extreme Pete. It must've been six years ago when he first asked me to join in - um, no thanks. The following year, he asked me again - oh no I don't think so. Yes, admittedly I was hesitant and sceptical at first - I mean c'mon! It's Extreme Pete; there's a reason why he's called Extreme... mountain biking in the dead of night on a forest trail with only a headlamp would be one example... and I don't even want to bring up the 'collar bone incident' - gives me chills just thinking about it. But he assured me that it was nothing suicidal like that. In the end, persistence paid off and the following year, I joined in... and never regretted it.


It was a great turnout! We launched about 15 canoes/kayaks, with 24 adults, 5 kids and 1 dog, Coco (No, not Roxy; she stayed home under protest - she had picket signs and rotten vegetables too).


Our Day-Trip starts off in Cambridge (about an hour's drive west of Toronto); we launch from Seneca Run, paddle down the Grand River, which turns into Oneida Run and we're out at Paris (small Canadian town). In total, it's a 32 kilometre paddle and normally takes about 7-8 hours. We did it in 4 1/2 hours - AND we even stopped for lunch! Oh yeah, we rock!

We had a few mishaps, luckily no one injured or anything like that... just wet. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT paddle into rapids sideways or backwards!

Coco demonstrates a mishap with Laurel and Mary. Hehe, Roxy would've done exactly the same thing. That's why no Roxy.

Thanks to Pete for organizing it again.
Can't wait for next year!

Labels: , ,